Pages

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

I Was Wondering


Sunday, February 7, 2010

I'm tired of eating crushed chips!

I've always wondered why about
1/4 of the chips in a big bag are
"Crushed"!

In my quest to see if there is a
scientific reason for this I've
searched many different ways...
crushed potato chips just got me
pictures and recipe's using
crushed chips.  I'll include
one below. I found many humorous quips about crushed chips,
but no one talked about WHY!!

I did  learn (as we probably ALL know) that chips have a lot
of air put into the bags before sealing them. This is to provide
a cushion for them so they won't break before the end-user
(ME, or you...) opens them. SO.....how come there's always
a layer of crushed, broken up chips at the bottom of EVERY
bag I've ever opened?

HEY, maybe that forced-in air is actually pushing the chips
down! The top half to 2/3 of the chips retain their "wholeness",
while those at the bottom get....well...crushed.

Brilliant conclusion, huh?

My wonderings thus far have really not netted me any real
scientific, factual results.

Maybe that's why I'm still wondering...haven't seen any rational
explanations for the wonderings.

SO....here's a yummy recipe for all those crushed chips
we always seem to end up with.

Potato Chip Cookies

 Ingredients:
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups crushed potato chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lay parchment on cookie
sheets to keep the cookies from sticking.

In a freezer bag, crush the potato chips with your hands, followed by a
rolling pin.(WELL...I hardly see the NECESSITY of doing this, since
we're STARTING with crushed chips!) Measure out 1-1/2 cups of
crushed chips and set aside. In a mixer, cream the butter and sugars.
Add the vanilla and the egg until combined.

In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add
to the butter mixture until combined. Mix in the crushed potato chips
by hand. ( by HAND? Yuk!!)

Drop by teaspoonfulls on a prepped cookie sheet.
You should get about three dozen out of this
mixture. Bake for 10 minutes.

Take them out of the oven and let them set slightly
for a few minutes. Then carefully lift them to a wire rack to cool. They will crisp up quickly.
If you want, drizzle with some melted chocolate.

DON'T THEY LOOK YUMMY?? I think drizzled
chocolate would really do wonders for them!

By the way....I found this recipe at:
www.justjennrecipes.com
...and there are many more great recipe's there!



SO....another "wondering" not fully satisfied. BUT...I did come across
MANY recipes that use crushed chips!

WHO KNEW???

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the chips were packaged at a higher altitude and the air pressure has deflated the bag when they came down to a lower level. When we have chips in the car when we go to the mountains, the bag puffs up.

    ReplyDelete